By: Embassy of the Republic of the Philippines, Seoul

The Philippine Embassy wishes to share with the public a reminder from the Korea Immigration Service - Ministry of Justice (KIS-MOJ) that changes in alien registration matters must be reported within 14 days from the date of change to the Chief of the Immigration Office with jurisdiction over the place of sojourn, as stipulated under Article 35 of the Immigration Act.

With regard to changes in passport information, the mandatory reporting period is calculated starting 30 days after the issue date of a passport, taking into consideration that there exists a difference between passport issue date and collection date. Thus, the period of imposing fines is calculated starting 44 days after the issue date of a new passport.

The Immigration Act of South Korea requires that registered aliens report changes in alien registration matters, including name, gender, date of birth, nationality, and passport details (passport number, date of issuance, expiry date). Failure to report such changes will result in the imposition of administrative fine of less than 1 million Korean won under Article 100 of the Act.

Reporting changes in passport information can be made either through the Hi-Korea website (, through Civil Petitions by fax services (1577-1346) or by visiting jurisdictional immigration offices. Required documents for reporting changes are copies of new passport and alien registration card (ARC).

Furthermore, under Article 36 of the Immigration Act, registered aliens are required to report changes in place of residence, to either the office of Si, Gun, Gu, Eup, Myeon, Dong, or the Immigration Office having jurisdiction over the new place of residence within 14 days from the change. Also, under Article 23 of the Immigration Act, aliens born in the Republic of Korea are required to obtain Status of Stay within 90 days from the date of birth by filing an application at the Immigration Office having jurisdiction over the place of residence. Family members can file an application on behalf of the child born in Korea, with a certificate of family relations issued by a Consul.

For further inquiries and assistance, the Immigration Contact Center may be contacted through 1345. END